Summing up Eurosonic 2012
- A great experience
by Webmaster, 24.01.2012
Eurosonic is the perfect place to gain international attention, according to Norwegian industry players.
This year, 11 Norwegian acts were booked for the important industry festival Eurosonic in Groningen. Two of them recently won the Norwegian equivalent of the Grammy award, while others were nominated.
Young punk act Honningbarna from Kristiansand was actually touring the Netherlands when they received the award for best rock album for their debut La Alarmane Gå. The band got much attention at last year’s by:Larm in Oslo, and in January it was time to make their mark on Eurosonic.
Jan Kenneth Transeth from Honningbarna’s label Karmakosmetix Music was very happy with the showcase:
- Honningbarna did a phenomenal showcase at Eurosonic this year. They played a great spot at legendary Vera late Friday night, and by the end of the set, the audience was really into the band’s energetic and angry political chello-punk. After the show, there was quite a lot of interest from European music business representatives, interest it will be exciting to work with during the coming weeks together with the band’s management Lash/out Agency.
Debut presented worldwide
Team Me just won the award for best pop album in the Norwegian equivalent of the Grammy awards. The album To The Treetops! will be released in the UK and USA in March, while audiences in Japan and Europe have the opportunity to experience the album already in February.
- Eurosonic was a great experience for Team Me and everyone involved with the band. We got a lot of interest from all across Europe, and Eurosonic was to us a good arena to promote the band for their upcoming tours and upcoming international release of their debut album. Eurosonic is also an extremely professional host who takes good care of their guests and performing artists, making it all a wonderful weekend, says Team Me’s manager Thomas Ryjord.
Performed for the second time
Katzenjammer was also nominated for an award in the Best pop act category for their album A Kiss Before You Go. The lively ladies played Eurosonic for the second time. The first showcase was in 2009, which incidentally was the band’s first concert outside Norway.
- That particular showcase was very important and gave the band international partners who now are a part of their team, says Silje Buraas of Stageway.
Since then, Katzenjammer has performed at several clubs in Groningen.
- At Eurosonic this year they played in front of an enthusiastic crowd of 1000 people, and the response has been great so far, says Buraas.
Katzenjammer’s A Kiss Before You Go will be released in the UK on May 7th.
Music Export Norway provided travel support for the Norwegian acts.
(Photo: Stella Marie Brevik)
question & answers
- What sort of financial support does Music Export Norway provide?
- I want to play a showcase at a showcase festival. What do I do?
- How do I prepare for an industry festival or event?
- Where can I find export statistics for Norwegian music?
- What do you mean by "export ready"?
- What are the hottest Norwegian acts these days?
- Where can I find Norwegian industry contacts?